I'm a librarian, spinner, knitter! This is my blog for crafty things, updates to my shop and more.
You can check out my handspun yarns here - Kitty Grrlz Hand Spun Yarns and my hand knit items here - Kitty Grrlz Hand Knits

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Something Different . . .

Last night I tried spinning bamboo fiber for the first time. I got some wonderful dyed bamboo from HollyEQQ and decided to try and spin it up last night. It actually spun pretty easily, as long as I could control the fly-aways, and I did pre-draft it pretty extensively.

Here is a shot of the single on the bobbin:

It is *very* difficult to photograph because of the wonderful shine of the fiber.

I wasn't sure whether or not to ply it, but I really don't like curly-cue singles, so I plied it with some thread. Here are two shots--the first with flash and the second without:


I actually really like how it turned out and it is soo shiny and soft! This is 84 yards bulky weight yarn. It should be up on my website later today and might show up one etsy at a later date.

Since I enjoyed spinning this, I plan on spinning up another colorway tonight!

2 comments:

Whirled said...

The bamboo is gorgeous! And the finished yarn is to die for. Some very lucky person will be taking that one home! I've finally got you added to the blogs I read list. Soon as I re-teach myself how to add to my side bar, I'll get your banner up too! Jenny

Just Another Runner said...

thank you, Jenny! I'm looking forward to spinning more of this fiber.

AddThis